Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sculpture and Color

I'm fighting dealing with this portrait right now.

No problem with drawing, but the painting is messy, it keeps getting away from me. Not just the colors but how it goes on to the primed board. It's oozy and sloppy, so unlike carving. Surprize!

Gotta solve how work in such a different medium......so there's nothing I'm willing to show right now.

But in struggling with it, I am noticing color more. This quiet riot of color got my attention.

Not just the flowers but my purple Barbie tool box,  red pillow, the oranges and russets in the rug and wood and how all the warm and cool colors relate to each other....they shouldn't but they do.

Now if only I can pull off something 1/3 as complex.....

2 comments:

kara rane said...

hi Patrick-
I feel exactly your dilemma,, sometimes I love paint so much & other times it is so frustrating*! Being very neat and organized it can go against my nature,, which reveals true nature.

patrickgracewood said...

Glad I'm not alone in the "struggle", Kara. If I had it all to do again, part of me would paint the sky...the complexity of light reflected and transmitted through clouds is endlessly fascinating....and canvas is a lighter to move than sculpture.