Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sculpture and Travel

Many people travel to distant lands to see sculpture,
................. some of us come home to make new sculpture about what we've seen.
The Balinese Mermaid by Patrick Gracewood ©2012
Going through my slides, I found my little Balinese mermaid. Wish I had better photos of her...

After visiting Bali, I wanted to create a small sculpture that had some of the magic and mystery of the island. The bust and tail are carved wood, the lily leaf is bondo and mesh, the golden hair ornament is just that.

She is a kinetic bouquet,  part of a series that blended the idea of the sacred, toys and bouquets with interaction.

As you hold her by her by the tail, her hair ornament and the water lily leaf move and tremble with every movement of your own body. It's a balancing act of calmness to hold her still.
 
More work to surface as I transfer my slides to digital images.

2 comments:

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

She's just beautiful!

JoAnnA said...

I ADORE THIS PIECE!!!! :) It is a piece of delicate perfection!