Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sculpture and Models, Truth of Materials.

In theater, the sooner you can rehearse in your costume the better the performance. With sculpture, models serve as rehearsals. You learn and improve your ideas with each one.

I made the clay model quickly to show my client. It showed them my idea and worked in the video.
Now it's time to go further and discover what it's really going to look like in wood.

The drawback with clay is that it can be any shape. The clay model is meaningless when the actual sculpture will be in wood. A successful wood carving requires forms unique to wood.


Carving this model helps me plan my moves on the big log,
but instead of a knife, it will begin with a chainsaw.



2 comments:

Delphine said...

Wow. Very gorgeous. As always. Quel talent !!

patrickgracewood said...

Thank you, Delphine, she's getting better- the more I work on her. more soon!