Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Love Letter - A Harvest in Bronze


When I was in Kyoto, Japan, I asked my friend, Seth Yarden, if he missed anything about living in the US. His reply was a surprise," I miss Wilamette Valley produce". At the market I understood what he meant. A single peach was $8.00 US. That was the inspiration for wanting to create a modern cornucopia. Wreaths, garlands and cornucopias, traditional symbols of living wholeness remind us of Nature’s abundance, renewal, and of our connection to the land.

Back home, I'd been awarded a $5,000 grant, I went to the farmer's market and bought $60.00 worth of fresh produce and used the rest of the money to buy the time necessary to create uninterrupted. Love Letter is my interpretation of this classical tradition. Written in bronze instead of words, Love Letter is a thank you for the abundance and sharing of good food that sustains and nourishes us all. A small mouse, hidden on the wreath, is a reminder that we are not alone in this cycle, but share it with all creatures. Can you find the mouse?

No comments: