Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Take Back the Walls!


I painted the studio a conservative "bland tan" as we were remodeling it. Only after being here a year did I realize that the color needed to be the color of the river boulders and stones on the property. Finally found a deep rich color that matches the iron ochre of the rock when they're wet. (Half the year). The new paint makes the studio sit back into the lot and ties it to the land and the dark fir trees behind the studio.

Nature abhores a vacuum so I began to put some of my relief collection up on the walls. Another out of the drawer experience. Here is one grouping of architectural reliefs, Balinese tiles, a blue glazed tile I designed for the dance company UMO. The Mayan skull is from a facade I carved for a Portland restaurant.

No comments: