Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thomas Merton - Inspiration for Sculpture


"A sweet summer afternoon. Cool breezes and a clear sky. 
This day will not come again.
The young bulls lie under a tree in the corner of their field.
Quiet afternoon. Blue hills. Day lilies nod in the wind.
This day will not come again."

I found these little daily meditations, specific observations and contemplations on the meaning of a day by Tomas Merton the most touching and meaningful aspects of his book Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander. 

To Merton the essence of Christianity is humanity: '"To live well is my first and essential contribution to the well being of all mankind and to the fulfilment of man's collective destiny.  
If I do not live happily myself - how can I help anyone else to be happy, or free or wise?' 

There's deep theology to wade through, if you're so inclined, but his connection with the living world is what makes it a good read.

No comments: