Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Sculpture and 10 things in the studio #4-6



Studio things that make me happy 4-6. Late posting today because I was hammering out an art proposal. Lesson learned today? If I don't like a drawing, it's so much easier to start over and simply redraw it than waste 90 minutes applying photoshop CPR.

4. Familiar tools.
Several of which have been with me from the start. 30+ years of working together making sculpture. They know my hands.

When I work on a job site I am totally focused about having them either in my hand or placed in my toolbox. Even if it's the modified tongue depressor. Yes, I can replace it, but it would take a hour of my time to get it just so again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



5. New tools. These are golden means calipers. They divide up space proportionally. The shorter section is to the longer section as the longer section is to the entire span. I find my eye naturally does the right placement, but if I've any doubts They're a great way to check work.

I've had the plastic proportional calipher for years. It was a good idea badly executed. Made by Now and Zen. The book that cam with it is handy but the plastic isn't accurate, it's curved. Everytime I pick it up it irritates me how cheaply it's made.

I fianlly found a decent pair. They are a pleasure to use. Made by a fellow in Argentina, Javier Holodovsky. His website is www.holyholo.com His email is holyholo@gmail.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



5. The garden surrounding the studio.

I've had studios in warehouses in bad parts of town but after finding someone murdered in doorway next to mine I no longer craved that "cutting edge".

In a warehouse if you step outside, you're on the street. There is no transition. Here I can hose work down, do my dirty work outside, eat lunch in the sun and be inspired by the garden.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: