Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Sculpture and MIMEtoLITHS


Multi-media artist conjures up computers and film and conceptual work. Algis Kemezys is a Montreal, Canada based multimedia artist whose media includes the oldest material on earth, stone. He has created numerous stackings he calls Self-Portraits in Stone.

Stacking stone is one of the oldest artistic expressions and still one of the most satisfying. From trail markers to grave cairns, stone is always environmentally sound and site specific. Working directly with available stone speaks directly to our atavistic origins. Algis says "Rock can certainly call out to you and when responding to this the message the results of working with it are magical."


All photos by Kemezys

Kemezys writes, "For me, the idea is an amalgam of sculpture and nature. Whenever I find an inspiring view I compose and build a complementary stone sculpture and photograph it. It becomes a part of me that I leave behind, but just like myself the artifact is impermanent. I use no cementing material and so my sculptures are ephemeral, succumbing to the elements and soon enough crumble to become again part of the landscape.

Most of these sculptures were made in Greece on the island of Crete and on the island of Rhodes. A few were made in southern Turkey as well."

His blog is MIMEtoLITHS
The movie he made of the stone sculptures is available on Amazon.
View the trailer here.

1 comment:

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Love these...makes me want to go out and play with rocks!
Susan