Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sculpture and the Farwest Show #2

 Once the pattern was completely transferred to the plywood, I began by drilling many holes so I could use my scroll-saw.  I changed bit sizes to match the tightest curves of the pattern. The drill automatically cuts a round hole, cutting that with a scroll saw is much more tedious.

The wonderful thing about creating sculpture under a deadline is how many ways it teaches you to be practical AND efficient.

This was my favorite part, I loved the shadows and the scale of it.
I would have loved to have floated the image inside the frame, but it was too delicate so it was mounted it to another sheet of plywood. Then the really tedious part began, caulking all around the entire pattern. That made painting much easier. 
 Both panels were primed and then a quick coat of dark brown spray paint to give more depth. The wood is only 3/8 of an inch thick, so it needs all the cosmetic help it can get.

Next post the finished panels and the show installation.

4 comments:

Theresa Cheek said...

The good stuff is always tedious! I love the process Patrick!

Anonymous said...

What did you use to cut the ply.

Anonymous said...

What did you use to cut the ply.


patrickgracewood said...

Vaishali, I used an electric scroll saw.