Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sculpture and the Farwest Show



This flame design is of a Buddhist, 7th Century bronze finial, selected from a book about the famous Japanese temple Horyuji, the temple of the Exhaulted Law.

I modified the artwork for the two 4 foot x 6 foot panels I created for the Farwest Show. Here's how I did it.


I had the frames designed and fabricated by Al Jolley at Designform Inc. I was initially going to carve AAC blocks and fit them into the frame. A BAD idea as it would be this scultor's nightmare of heavy AND fragile AND dangerous! That and moving the artwork to and from a three day show, with no budget, quickly brought me back to reality. Plywood was the only way to proceed.

 First I glued down a full scale pattern onto luan plywood, above. Easiest glue in my shop is a 10 year old bucket of wall paper paste. It lasts forever and never goes bad or dries up.

Then using my old trusty scroll saw, I cut out the stencil.
I used the stencil and spray paint to transfer the pattern onto the full scale plywood. The notch at the bottom and top is to insure correct registration. I align it onto the center line.
Here's the full scale design on 3/8th plywood ready for cutting. More in the next post.

3 comments:

Theresa Cheek said...

Thanks for sharing the process....many people do not realize the hours spent in prep for a piece. Nicely done!

Jennifer Corio - Cobalt Designworks said...

Beautiful, Patrick. I love the detail -- both in design and process.

Thanks for sharing.

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Very cool! The design is so wonderful, I can't wait to see where you take it next.