Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Sculpture and Birthdays

My 58th birthday was this Sunday. 
I've been cleaning the studio, reorganizing and throwing things out!
Feels good to acknowledge what isn't working and clear space for new sculpture.
A calm and clean space lets me see signs and omens.....

In the grey days my sunflower panel reminds me of the Camus quote:
 "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

That is good to remember when I feel overwhelmed by ideas and inspirations 
and underwhelmed by my stamina and ability to prioritize. 
I was at the computer when this rainbow swung by the lovely Japanese sketch.
A reminder to stay present and notice ephemeral beauty.
This is what I think my sculpture offers people: its own narrative beauty,
but the art is also a back drop for people to notice the changing quality of the light.

For reasons yet unkown I'm studying smoke and steam.
That's going to be a challenge for a sculptor!
Here's to a new year of creativity.

2 comments:

Beatriz Cunha said...

Congratulations on your birthday. May you continue to dazzle us with your sensitive spirit and creativity for a long time.

patrickgracewood said...

Thank you, Beatriz. Only another sculptor knows the physical amount of work and stamina needed.