Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Sculpture and Process

Ouch! 

 I was having a conversation about what it would cost to digitally scan the large wood carving.
That scan would serve as a record, to be used to repair or replace the art if it's destroyed.

 The business owner called me "a relic" because I intend to do the carving by hand.
 It shows the limitation of his aesthetics.
                                            .... and his salesmanship.     Don't insult your customer!

To the computer controlled router all surfaces are the same. But foam is NOT wood.

I'm designing this wood carving to take full advantage of the nature of the material.
A wood sculpture is woodier because of the tool marks of saws, chisels, and the occasional rip and check of the wood. The sculpture's textures are a visible recording of the creation process.
Smooth is for salad bowls and furniture.

Computer controlled routing isn't better if the art isn't substantially better too.
All the fancy technologies are simply tools for the artist.
Just like chainsaws and grinders, chisels and that most special of all tools, the artist's hands.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
a relic is a part of the body of a venerated person, carefully preserved for purposes of veneration or as a touchable or tangible memorial. Relics are an important aspect most religions. The word relic comes from the Latin reliquiae, meaning "remains" or "something left behind"

3 comments:

Sherrie York said...

Funny how we walk this line... I embrace some aspects of technology, but the magic of image- or object-making for me is that I manipulate tools and materials by hand. I want to feel the give (or not) of lino or wood beneath the tool... The sound and feel of roller on ink tells me when the viscosity is right.

The end result is a touchable, tangible memorial of time and intention (achieved or not)... yeah, I love me some relics.

JoAnnA said...

That kind of remark is to serve self interest, while insulting your obvious knowledge an experience of a world most forsake, take the quick route and thus never fully appreciate the roots of the authentic. This is why you are an expert in what you do...good on you P!! :-) x

patrickgracewood said...

Thank you for getting it.
What it means for me, aside from not taking comments personally, is that I need to educate folks what my art is about.