Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sculpture and the Fire of Intention

Susan Gallacher -Turner came to the New Year's Burning. She's got photos and writes about it on Sculpting A Life.

Here's how I made it.

Take two pallets and one old shipping box,  The first pallet was cut down by one third to be the base. The other was cut in half for the pedestal. Here they are with a layer of cardboard between the two. It was quicker to  cover the entire base first instead of trying to work around the upright portion.

I put all the wood scraps back inside the structure for kindling.

My grandfather had an expression, about when they were butchering animals on the farm:"We'd use everything but the squeal." That's what I strive for when I'm creating this sculpture. All the mess gets put back inside and becomes part of the art. When I'm done so is most of the cleanup!
Here's the main structure, ready to be covered in cardboard.





Here's the first coat of paint for the mandala and the frame for scale.
More in the next post.

4 comments:

Sherrie York said...

(sigh) Wish we could have been there. This puts my "match to scraps of paper in a bread pan" ritual to some serious shame.

Although one year we did coat sticks with glitter and throw them in a bonfire.

Patrick Gracewood said...

Laughing. The important thing is that you DID burn your wishes.The rest is just the icing.(literally, it was in the mid 20's at midnight.)

Karin Corbin said...

The pallet with the wood pieces inside it would itself make a fantastic gallery piece as a comment on the low income or homeless life. It looks much like a fireplace in its form. All it would need is artificial or painted flames coming out of it. For years my friends who lived on social security heated their home by burning pallet boards.

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Glad I was there, Patrick. Thank goodness for the fire, it kept us all warm on such a cold night!

Thanks for the nod on my blog on the Fire of Intention. I loved putting my old and new intentions into the pinecone.