Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

The Sculptor as Witch



"Don't you know what's out there in the world?
Someone has to shield you from the world.
Stay with me.

Princes wait there in the world, it's true.
Princes, yes, but wolves and humans, too.
Stay at home.
I am home.

Who out there could love you more than I?
What out there that I cannot supply?
Stay with me.

Stay with me,
The world is dark and wild.
Stay a child while you can be a child.
With me."

Stay With Me by Steven Sondheim from Into The Woods.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is plenty of time to think when carving.
I'm taking a crash course in Archetypes, the hard way. By living it.
The new carving of Lulu wearing a paper crown has opened it's own doors to the underworld.

I'm experiencing the dread that probably every parent or guardian from seeing only a part of the future. It's coming too fast. One week she's wearing a paper crown. A child of 5. The next week an unsettling glimpse of the beautiful woman she will become. And somehow I've turned into a barking dog, charging the to the end of my chain to protect her, barking at the future.

That fierce urge to protect has it's own dangers. No one says it better than Mr. Sondheim.

1 comment:

Bpaul said...

Beautiful post, sir.